All information relevant to the Parking Charge Notice can be found on the reverse of the charge.

Payment can be made:

  • Online at paymypcn-uk.co.uk
  • Via our automated line on 0845 867 9445
  • To our postal address with a cheque or postal order (please ensure you write your PCN number on the reverse). The postal address is; Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd, The Courtyard, 1a Cranbourne Road, Slough, SL1 2XF

To appeal against a parking charge, either complete the online appeals form available at www.paymypcn-uk.co.ukor write to us at Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd, The Courtyard, 1a Cranbourne Road, Slough, Berks, SL1 2XF. Any attachments or further evidence must be posted.

Once we receive your appeal your case will be put on hold. If your appeal is received with the first 14 days of your charge being issued it will be held at the reduced rate. If the appeals team decline your appeal you will receive a response by post within 14 days of receiving your appeal.

If a representation is rejected by our internal appeals department, the Independent Appeals Service (IAS) provide an Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme for disputes of this type. The IAS consists of an independent panel of trained solicitors and/or barristers who will consider the legalities of the charge. A decision made on a standard appeal is legally binding on the operator.

Unfortunately appeals cannot be accepted over the phone. We are only able to give general advice on our phone line.

A third party can only appeal a charge if the driver or keeper of the vehicle has given signed authority to do so. This must be provided in writing the postal address; Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd, The Courtyard, 1a Cranbourne Road, Slough, Berks, SL1 2XF.

Please contact Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd on 01753 512603 to investigate your case further. All appeals are responded to within 14 days.

The Department for Transports Blue Badge scheme allows permitted blue badge holders to park in certain restricted areas on public highway. This concession does notapply on Private Land. Land owners are permitted to give their own terms of parking private land. Where some land owners may give Blue Badge holders preferential parking some land owners may not provide blue badge parking at all. It is always advisable to check the signage or contact PCM before parking. If unsure one should find alternative unrestricted parking.

Your details have been provided by the DVLA as you were on record as the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time the charge was issued. We will continue to pursue you unless you can provide;

  • Documents that prove you had sold the vehicle; and/or
  • The full name and serviceable address of whom the vehicle was sold to.

It would also be advisable to contact the DVLA as soon as possible to update your details.

The contract was formed at the time of parking; whether there was a notice on the windscreen does not impact your liability to pay the charge. There are three ways by which a PCN can be served – affixed to the windscreen, handed to the driver or served via the post. All three methods are perfectly legitimate and the method by which your PCN was served does not affect the validity of it.

POPLA is the independent appeals service provided by the British Parking Association (BPA). We are not members of the BPA, we are members of the International Parking Community (IPC) – an alternate Approved Trade Association. The ADR service provided by the IPC is called the Independent Appeals Service (IAS) which does not require a verification code. Details of how to appeal to the IAS can be found on previous correspondence sent to you. For your convenience, please find the website below;

The Independent Appeals Service - www.theias.org

The case has now been sent to our external debt collection agency & at this stage we are unable to intercede. Please contact Trace Debt Recovery – details below.

Trace Debt Recovery UK Limited
PO Box 1448

24-hour payment line – 03300 080 477
Enquiry line – 01604 968 123 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm)


Yes. PCM have issued over 6000 county court judgements (CCJ). Please do not ignore your parking charge. A CCJ could seriously affect your future credit, making renting a property, applying for a credit card/finance or any mortgage applications very difficult or sometimes impossible.

If you have received a county court judgement (CCJ) payments will need to be made to our Solicitors – Gladstones Solicitors. A call ball back request or payment can be made via www.gladstonessolicitors.co.ukor payments can be made via their automated payment line 0333 0230 049

Neither Gladstones Solicitors nor Parking Control Management will be able to give legal advice on how to deal with your county court judgement. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judgments-ccj-for-debtfor further information or please seek independent legal advice.